Monday, October 29, 2012

A Sense of Place

So, this is another one of those secrets that I've been keeping under wraps (actually, at this point, I think it's the longest-running secret as it's going nigh on 18 months since I originally made what's coming up) - I have a new pattern in Quilts & More's special publication Sew Fresh!


What's really kind of funny about all this is that this is the first of my patterns that was ever accepted for publication by a major magazine/publisher, but since it's taken 18 months to be made public, I've had quite a few more actually come out in the meantime. I guess Better Homes & Gardens just sources things way further in advance than everything else; this also was originally supposed to be in the Spring issue of Quilts & More but then was selected for publication in this special issue instead.


My pattern is called A Sense of Place and includes instructions for making some fun patchwork and linen placemats! I just love this little breakfast scene they shot using them here! What's really fun about this pattern is that Q&M went ahead and made some really great piecing graphics that really compliment the pattern instructions well.


Although I can't show it directly from the magazine here (because it would require me to show your more of the actual pattern instructions - which is a big no-no of course), I made another placemat in more autumn-type colours that is also featured in the magazine as a colour-option. That is one of the things that I really do like about Q&M - they often show their patterns in more than one colour option which really helps the maker to visualize what the pattern could look like in colours other than the original.


This is one of the more spring-colour placemats that was featured in the pattern's main photo. Now that I hve them back after so long I've put both of the spring-colour ones on our kitchen table and I must say that they really do cheer the place up! I do have to keep moving them though since I also actually sew at my kitchen table!

The Sew Fresh special issue also includes patterns from the likes of Camile Roskelley, Vanessa Christenson, Patty Young, Tanya Whelan, Monica Solorio-Snow, and a few more to boot! Sew Fresh is available on newsstands now but can also be purchased as a digital download through Zinio (I actually buy a few magazines though Zinio when I've either missed an issue or can't find it in Canada - it's also the place where the e-book version of Pretty in Patchwork Holidays can be purchased).

6 comments:

  1. Now I'm going to have to get this magazine because not only are you in it, but a woman from my quilt guild! (http://veronicamade.wordpress.com/2012/10/28/im-published-again/) Also, it looks pretty cool. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just looked at this magazine the other day and thought that pattern was cute but didn't notice it was yours! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations - what a great accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news, it looks like a fun magazine but I haven't seen it in England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually only seen it in one store in Canada so far (I got one copy from the magazine and bought another for my mum while I was in SLC), so I don't know how easy it is to find outside the US. If you really want to make some of the projects though, your best bet is probably to download it from Zinio.

      Delete